Thursday, April 22, 2010

My soap box... about immigration issues in Arizona.

So... normally I would stem away from controversial issues but this is my blog and I can write what I want! Tonight... I want to talk about the infamous "anti-immigration law" (SB1070). This law is sitting on the Governor's desk awaiting signature... This law basically allows police to ask anyone they "reasonably suspect" at any time to show their legal status papers. And, if you don't have your papers, you are immediately arrested. So, basically all immigrants must carry their papers with them 24/7. Hmmm... "License, registration, legal status papers..."

Coming from a border state and living in South Texas for most of my life, can you not understand what a crucial and important role our immigrants play in our economy and daily lives - legal or not? I am not blind to the increasing danger and drug problems that come from those horrible losers who ruin it for the rest of the immigrants who just want a better life for their families... But, I think AZ is quite extreme and borderline unconstitutional to pass this into law. And, might I make clear, I am not writing this from a Republican/Democrat - Liberal/Conservative stance... I am writing from the stance of a person who has grown up around Hispanic culture and who sees value in those who immigrate to the U.S. (since most are coming here for more opportunity and to seek a better life.) I know there is a problem that needs attention, but this is not the right solution.

I am looking forward to getting away from a state with such extreme, immoral values on this issue. If Arizona put as much time into working towards a decent, improved basic education program as they do combatting immigration issues, they wouldn't be dead last in per pupil expenditure in the nation (NEA 2008) or #50 in the "smartest state" award with #1 being the smartest (Morgan Quitno Press).

So, obviously you know where I stand on this bill... Please don't sign it Gov. Brewer.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/04/20/sot.arizona.immigration.bill.cnn

1 comment:

~M~ said...

Very well put! I agree with you completely.