Today, in the Sunday paper, I read that HEB is starting a contest tomorrow called 'Ready, Set, Cook.' HEB has many initiatives to help their communities become healthy... this is an 8 week contest that aligns with their healthy initiatives. The goal is to increase the amount of meals eaten at home versus out and to add a new veggie or fruit to the menu each week. They are also trying to prove how eating in is less expensive than eating out... not to mention more healthy.
There are prizes to be won... Grand prize is free groceries for 1 year, $1,000 kitchen makeover and shopping trip with HEB nutritionist. Other prizes are HEB gift cards.
Prizes are always fun, but I will say the real reason I am doing this 8 week cooking healthy at home challenge is because I really need to do establish better habits. I have developed not so great eating habits... mainly because I have been eating for 1 for a while. With Ben traveling all week long, I just don't have an interest to cook for myself. Now that has changed... I am obviously responsible for feeding Luke plus I am nursing Caroline. And, I need to get in the habit for cooking because, even when Ben is home, I don't want to cook - I just want to go out to eat with him and relax... but he has been eating out all week. So, he really wants a good home-cooked meal. (And, eating healthy meals at home would not be a bad idea for post-prego figure either...)
I honestly do not really enjoy cooking and I really cannot commit to anything that requires major time in the kitchen - I will get bored really quickly. But, I think I can do anything for an hour or less of prep/cook. I do want to enjoy it at least enough to cook for my family and friends - and have my kids and hubby enjoy my cooking.
So this is my commitment - to not eat fast food and complete this 8 week challenge. If anyone wants to do it with me, sign up on the HEB website starting tomorrow. I am not 100% sure how it works b/c they release the details tomorrow but I know you record everything online.


No comments:
Post a Comment