
June 8th of every year is World Ocean Day - as declared by the UN. World Ocean Day is an opportunity every year to honor the world's ocean, celebrate the products the ocean provides, such as seafood, as well as marine life itself for aquariums, pets, and also a time to appreciate its own intrinsic value. The ocean also provides sea-lanes for international trade (Wikipedia).
The theme for 2010 is "Oceans of Life." We all know about the oil spill in the gulf which is devastating on so many levels. On the most obvious level, the families of those who died on the rig and the sweet sweet animals who are living and breathing the oil, I feel for deeply. I hope that they find the truth in "Oceans of Life" this year. I am not someone who is overly "green" or eco-focused (don't hate me for saying that - I am just not OVERLY focused on everything I should be... I am just trying to be better at basic recycling) - but I do care about our waters and hope so much that our oceans continue to mean life for so many regardless of oil spills and other disasters.
Happy World Ocean Day! Eat some seafood today or maybe drink a tropical beverage and cheers to our oceans or just thank God for His wonderful gift of life through our oceans! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment