Yesterday I thought that Luke actually acknowledged and responded to my presence and my voice with a slight smile... An actual recognition of me NOT a gas or indigestion reaction. It made my heart skip a little joyful beat but I still was not 100% sure. Well, today it happened again - actually a few times. I did not realize how much that little response was going to make a difference. The past 5 weeks we have been loving on the little guy like crazy, reading to him, talking to him - just letting him know we are here. (Everyone has been so great - grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends - just so many voices surrounding him.) Well, after an emotional evening last night with the little guy and a much needed break where my sweet friends and help were able to calm the little man for a bit, today is awesome so far! Both Luke and I awoke well rested and in a mood to greet a happy day. The little man showed his smile and it melted my heart. I wish I caught it on camera but I know the smiles are here to stay.
Some may glaze over this and wonder why is she making a big deal of this... a few months ago I might have secretly thought the same thing. I can tell you that after so much effort and no thanks or even the slightest acknowledgement of my existence in return, any type of recognition or acknowledgement is precious and very welcomed. I know many seasoned parents are thinking... get ready - the teenage years are the worst. ( I think of my selfish self during this time where it was so much effort and little thanks from me.) But I guess for now, I will try to take each day as it comes and look for the little responses and changes that make all the difficult times take a back seat and melt away.

1 comment:
Wonderful pictures! It has been lovely to see you and Luke.
Post a Comment